The state of California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will now issue temporary special permits for overweight trucks weighing up to 88,000 pounds and are transporting emergency supplies for COVID-19 relief.
Caltrans increased the maximum allowable gross vehicle weight from 80,000 to 88,000 pounds to allow any load transporting essential goods to reach its destination quicker. The state will temporarily issue special permits for these overweight trucks on the State Highway System.
These special permits will be good for one trip and valid for seven days, and will be issued until further notice.
“Essential Goods” are defined as the following:
· Medical supplies and equipment related to the testing, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19
· Supplies and equipment necessary for community safety, sanitation, and prevention of community transmission of COVID-19 such as masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap and disinfectant
· Food, paper products and other groceries for emergency restocking of distribution centers or stores
· Immediate precursor raw materials such as paper, plastic or alcohol that are required and to be used for the manufacture of items above
· Equipment, supplies and persons necessary to establish and manage temporary housing, quarantine, and isolation facilities related to COVID-19
In working with the California Trucking Association, WCS Permits assisted in preparing to push this increase through. WCS has also worked closely with Caltrans to work through any bugs.
WCS Permits Can Help
Like with Caltrans, WCS Permits is working closely with all states to stay up-to-date on permit issuance changes during the COVID-19 pandemic. WCS has a full staff, including 65 permit agents ready to answer questions and issue these and all oversize load permits.
If you have any questions about our oversize load permit services, please feel to Contact Us Online now or call us at (888) 737-6488 to reach our permit department.