DOT Numbers

United States DOT (Department of Transportation) numbers are one of the most important requirements to move your fleet down the road or to a different state, it can also be required to order transportation permits. Though it is not required for all, most do need this authority. 
Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with FMCSA and must have a USDOT number. 

When is a DOT Number Required?:

  • When a vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating, gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds (4,536 KG ) or more, whichever is greater. 
  • When a vehicle is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation.
  • When a vehicle is used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation.  

When is a DOT Number is NOT Required?:

  • When a private individual is hauling personal equipment not for compensation (ie: boat)
  • Transportation of sick or injured persons
  • Fire trucks and other rescue vehicles involved in emergency and related options
  • School bus operations
  • Any government vehicle approved by Congress
If you meet any of the DOT requirements, let WCS Permits help obtain your standard DOT numer. We have a dedicated department ready and waiting to process your application and get you on the road! 
Please Contact Us or fill out our Online Application below to get started, and a representative from WCS will contact you to discuss fees and finalize your application before anything is submitted. If you have any additional questions, please call our Columbus, OH office at 888-737-6483. 

Application for USDOT Number

3. Principal Address
4. City
5. State / Province
6. ZIP Code+4
8. Mailing Address
9. City
10. State / Province
11. ZIP Code+4