When is a DOT Number Required?:
- When a vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating, gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds (4,536 KG ) or more, whichever is greater.
- When a vehicle is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation.
- When a vehicle is used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation.
When is a DOT Number is NOT Required?:
- When a private individual is hauling personal equipment not for compensation (ie: boat)
- Transportation of sick or injured persons
- Fire trucks and other rescue vehicles involved in emergency and related options
- School bus operations
- Any government vehicle approved by Congress