UCR which stands for “UNIFIED CARRIER REGISTRATION” is a program that requires individuals or companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business with a participating state and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.
WHO IS REQUIRED TO PAY UCR FEES? (If operating interstate commerce in the United States):
- Motor Carrier of property, both for-hire and private, whether or not they are considered exempt carriers for purposes of federal regulation
- For-hire passenger Motor Carriers
- Freight Forwarders
- Brokers and Leasing companies that lease vehicles without drivers to interstate motor carriers or freight forwarders
- If the carrier is based out of a state that does not participate in UCR (I.e. Florida), but they are INTERSTATE and cross state lines THEY MUST PAY UCR FEES STILL
EXEMPT CARRIERS FROM UCR FEES:
- A motor carrier, either for-hire or private, may exclude vehicles that operate only in intrastate commerce in the transportation of property (including, for this purpose, waste and recyclables) from the carrier’s fleet count for purposes of the UCR fee.
- Any INTRASTATE Carrier is NOT required to pay any sort of UCR Fee. NO states are allowed to collect from them even if the state participates in the UCR organization.
- Private Carriers of Passengers
- All motor carriers that operate solely within Hawaii, except those involved in moving household goods for individual shippers.
- Unlike IRP and IFTA, foreign units of government, such as the Canadian provinces, and the U.S. territories, are not eligible to participate in UCR.
UCR fees are paid annually when enrollment opens up, which varies year to year. At WCS, we have the capability to help you pay those fees quickly and easily. WCS can help with new fees to get your new operation up and running legally, or with past due fees to get you caught up. UCR fees are VERY important and should not be overlooked, as you could face hefty fines, and many states can prevent you from traveling through them.
After completing our online application, a representative from WCS will contact you to discuss fees and finalize your application before anything is submitted. If you have any additional questions, please call our Columbus, OH office at 888-737-6483.
Application for UCR Fees
NOTE: This form is provided to assist you in maintaining required records. It is to be used only by motor carriers and freight forwarders registering for the Unified Carrier Registration. Please fill out the below and someone from WCS will contact you.